Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Things are Heating Up

No, I am not talking about Global Warming, folks. Unless you somehow have been away from a television set for the past 24 hours, Obama the Savior clinched the Democratic nomination.* (*Hillary of course disputes this). Several months ago I said that I wanted it to be an Obama vs. McCain showdown for November. Obviously the voters listened to me. I should be happy, right? Jumping off couches like Tom Cruise, maybe? Well, if Obama thought it was tough fighting Hillary in the Democratic Primary, things are about to get a lot hotter. Enter the Republican Machine and the swift boats!!

What I realized last night, though, is that I don't know a lot of the substance of these two candidates, especially Obama. I especially liked Obama's "change" message and McCain's "maverick" approach. But, have I just been caught up in the political spin cycle and believe those terms apply? To get a good look at how they differ, it will take time http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/04/news/economy/mccain_obama_econplans/index.htm?postversion=2008060412, but I have found some basics. McCain is pro military, pro staying in Iraq, pro limited government and pro low taxes. Obama is pro getting out of Iraq, pro government entitlements, pro government controlling everything and pro raising taxes. Weren't people getting sick and tired of the Republicans telling us how to live our lives and spending all our money? Well, now we may get Democrats who are going to do the same thing, but instead take more of our money to do it.

I haven't decided who I am voting for yet. Youth vs. Old timer, Change vs. Same, Experience vs. No Clue, Big Government vs. Limited Government. There are pros and cons for both. But, in the end I want us done with the middle east, no longer dependent on foreign oil, less federal spending, block grants given to the state for necessary projects, no more earmarks, less government entitlements, better health care (not run by Uncle Same), better retirement possibilities, more individual responsibility and less government intrusion in my life. Who will give me this? Seriously, who? I think we may need a third candidate. The Political Pig, perhaps?

No comments: